header

Home
Ancestor Gallery
Announcements
Association
Biographies
Carpenter Cemetery
Cemeteries
Clothing 1700s
Coat of Arms
Edict of Nantes
Family Letters
Ferree Store
Gazette
Genealogy Humor
Gunsmiths
History
Homes, Estates, Lands
Land Grant
Lineal Societies
Memorabilia
New Paltz Huguenots
Newsletter
Other Ferree Events
Paradise, PA
Past DOMF Reunions
Qwik Facts
Reunion 2016
Revocation of Edict

Paradise, PA

"Each generation supposes that the world was simpler for the ones before it."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

  • Land grant from William Penn.
  • Located along Pequea Creek in what is now Lancaster County.
  • Settled in 1712 by the Ferrees and other Huguenot families.
  • Paradise became official name of the town with establishment of its "post office" in 1804.
 
The first homes on this land were shelters built of timbers with roofs of hay. They were eventually replaced with log cabins. Over time, fine stone houses were built. Some of those houses are still standing. The pages below feature some of the Ferree homes, those of other prominent families that intermarried with the Ferrees, and Ferree related historic sites.
Click on a site and visit.
     
   
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 
     
 

Note: Material for these pages was complied principally from information found in "Paradise, Our Heritage, Our Home" by Robert C. Denlinger; "The Story of the Ferree Family" by Emory Schuyler Ferree; "Ferree Family Gunsmiths" by George Bennett Ferree; "Lancaster County, Pennsylvania Street Map Book"; "Mapquest"; "Leola, Pennsylvania (1999), New Holland Pennsylvania (1999),Quarryville, Pennsylvania (1992), and Gap, Pennsylvania(1994) maps produced by the United States Geological Survey in cooperation with Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Bureau of Topographic and Geologic Survey; local merchants' business brochures and advertising phamphlets; and consultants, Robert Denlinger and Charles Heisterkamp.